There’s no way around it any longer: software is a big deal in business. The right programs are essential for both short term and long term success. When you run a business, finding the right balance between immediate needs and long-term growth is essential. If you run a business, choosing between existing software and custom software is also crucial for entrepreneurs, small businesses on a budget, or IT departments.
Custom software is designed in a way that it meets the needs very accurately as compared to off-the-shelf software’s generic way. Typically custom software is developed by a third party software development company or an in-house development team and these SaaS (software-as-a-service) programs are generally not intended for reselling. Custom Software vs. Off-the-shelf Off-the-shelf software consists of a packaged software available to a large audience with varying, albeit fundamentally similar needs.
A very common example of off-the-shelf software is Microsoft Office and its wide variety of recent updates. MS Office is used by businesses all over the world for businesses and other organizations. Just to name a few customer groups, it is used in hospitals, offices, schools and even in our own homes. While it doesn’t solve every organization’s problems, this type of product is designed for a large mass of people and not for any specific entity. Customized software development is the process of developing and release of the software tailored to the needs of a specific entity. For example, major corporate companies have their own software programs which are specific only to their organisation and department for which it is designed. This may be an application software for specific needs like consumer management, project management, HR management and project needs etc. Therefore the software is designed in accordance with the company infrastructure, branding and implementation in mind.
So, how will you know if the best solution for your company is to opt for custom software development?
These 10 signs tell you that it may be more relevant to develop your own software solution:
1. Your company has specific needs that no pre-existing software can meet. This is the most obvious sign, and in this case, custom software will certainly be more judicious to adapt perfectly to the specificities of your business.
2. The specifics of your business require more features than what the existing software offers you. Also, features you do not need can slow down your productivity. Custom development is then an evolution that would significantly improve your efficiency by focusing on the essentials.
3. You are experiencing compatibility issues between your different software. If you use software A to perform one task, then software B for another, but communication between the two programs is not optimal, the result will be a loss of performance. With software development, it is possible to integrate multiple programming interfaces (APIs) for optimal compatibility.
4. For many reasons, both commercial and security, your organization may need to control its software platform without limitation. The choice of custom offers you the ideal solution to fully own the rights and secure your system.
5. Every business must gain competitiveness in order to compete. Custom software offers the optimum adaptability to respond more quickly and appropriately to changes and opportunities in your industry, which is why it’s important to consider custom software development.
6. For web development, you need a programming interface (API) that is not supported by pre-existing software platforms. By using software specific to your business, communication and synchronization of data from your various systems and networks is optimal.
7. You have detected a flaw in the security of your system. A bug on pre-existing software can cripple your company’s workforce significantly. By opting for custom software development Brisbane, Australia, you have the control and are able to intervene quickly and appropriately, independently.
8. Your pre-existing software limits the possibilities of evolution of your business. Depending on the technology used, some features may not be resizable, and may not accommodate the growth of your business. Customized software offers endless possibilities for development.
9. Support received for your pre-existing software is not up to your expectations. It is true that the software of the market can sometimes offer a poor quality of service to the customer, with support little reactive or not competent enough. With custom software, you benefit from targeted and specific assistance, carried out by the team that developed your software, and who knows your system as well as your business.
10. Your productivity is stagnating. And this can sometimes be because of inappropriate software. By opting for a relevant and specific technical platform, you gain in productivity. If you recognize your company’s situation in most of these areas, it’s probably time to ask yourself if the tailor-made option is not the missing link to your growth.
Pros vs Cons Of Custom Software Solutions
The Pros of Custom Software Development
All of the organizations needs cannot be satisfied by off-the-shelf software. Every organisation works differently, hence the needs are also different. Custom made software provides a lot of specific functionalities as it is made in accordance with the needs of the organisation. This will definitely increase the ease of work and improve productivity. If a software application is developed to address an internal need, the cost of it will be recovered through increased efficiency. The system will return profit in the long run along with increased productivity. If your organisation has an internal needs which cannot be addressed by an off-the-shelf application, then a custom software is a smart option.
The Cons of Custom Software Development
Purchasing an off-the-shelf software costs you much less than developing a custom software in-house. It involves a lot of risks. Custom software development requires a huge investment and a dedicated software development team. The cost alone can be hefty. Off-the-shelf software can afford a hefty price point as it is sold to different users, but custom software is created for one user. The software is not intended for sale and you cannot profit any money from it. The value it gives your business will be based on the productivity and efficiency improvement. Any design flaws or inconsistency leads to huge loss. The development also should consider inclusions of future changes in the needs of the organisation. Such changes when incorporated in to the software will invite chaos. The project may lose its scope and may end up with a product not suitable to the actual needs. Hence more often custom software development is outsourced to a third party who provides software developing services.
Custom Software Conclusion
Choosing a company to create your software for business is not an easy task. When you outsource your work, you must consider picking the company that promises the right level of services at the right price. These companies typically meet with the requesting organisation to assess the needs and determine the total amount of work required to develop the software. They then put in a proposal on how much development time is required and the cost associated. This may change over time with changing software needs from your company or professional organization. Picking a software development company should never be based on cost alone, but should instead be based on the flexibility and willingness to work with the business.